Monday, July 22, 2013

Khao Phansa: a 90-day Meditation Challenge

Today marks the opening day of the 3-month rains retreat for Therevada Buddhists, which is called Vassa. Traditionally, this period is a time for wandering monks to post-up in a monastery for the rainy season, and often associated with a period of intensive meditation practice. Apparently, this tradition dates all the way back to the Buddha, and was intended to prevent monks from wandering through fields and trampling on young sprouting crops. For many lay-Buddhists, or non-monastic Buddhist followers, it is also a time to observe a more strict discipline for their practice, or to abstain from things like drinking alcohol or smoking.

Last year, during this period, I undertook the personal challenge to quit drinking, and even though it was extremely challenging, I was able to make it without a drop. Shortly after the end of the Vassa, which is called Awk Phansa (literally exiting the rain), while traveling through Burma, I gave in and broke my streak.

This year, as Khao Phansa (entering the rain) was approaching, I wanted to use it as another opportunity to challenge myself and deepen my practice. As I'm already on another no-drinking streak, this one more than 5 months in, I figured I should keep it more focused on meditation.

I was looking on a local meditation group's website the other day and saw they were implementing a program in which participants would vow to practice at home 30 minutes a day, in addition to some chanting and observation of some other rules, and a weekly group meeting. As this weekly event falls on my day off, I won't be able to participate, but still found the idea inspiring.

Insight Meditation Timer app for Android. 

At the end of June I told myself I would sit at least an hour for everyday in July, and so far, I've been able to do just that. Since I see personal challenges as stepping stones, I felt compelled to take it up a notch, so I've decided to challenge myself to 90 days of 90 minutes a day, in addition to morning and evening chanting. I want the first and last words coming out of my mouth each day to be in Pali language, as a way to keep those most valuable parts of my day connected to the Dhamma.

A challenge like this, for me, isn't about winning or losing. It's just a fun way to give myself a little push in a positive direction, in order to learn something about myself and hopefully change my life. In the past few years, I've undertaken many such challenges and even though not all of the things I've tried to implement into my daily life have been strictly observed every day, I have still seen this effort to steer my life in a wholesome direction bring about many positive changes, personal strength, and inner peace.

Some other things I hope to keep up for the next 3 months are daily yoga (at least 12 sun salutations), a strictly vegan diet (I'm almost there already), and a regular habit of writing in my blog, if not everyday. With my work schedule, and the commute to and from, it's going to be pretty hard to fit everything into one day. Since the point isn't to push myself so much that I break, I will keep a light attitude about everything, and just try my best. If I feel like I'm being too hard on myself, I'll happily back off a little, and I hope to keep you guys posted on how I'm doing. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment